<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

bling 

I've been away from the net for a while. Sunday the library was closed and on Monday it was Bank Holiday over here, which also meant the library was closed.

My last post is a bit longer and more stream of consciousness than usual. Most of my posts will be typed up on my laptop now, and then posted later, so expect to see several posts at once.

Not much going on in Beverley, just watching every single foreign film I missed this year (the local movie rental place has them all, side by side). So far I've seen Goodbye Lenin! which was wonderful and Gerry (a Gus Van Sant film, the guy who directed Elephant and Good Will Hunting) which should have been good, but was way too minimalist for its own good. On TV I caught "Escape from Alcatraz" with Clint Eastwood, which was pretty good, and some Israeli movie about militant settlers planning to blow up the Mosque at the Rock.

The news is much more in-depth over here. I read an article which noted that THE DRAFT is being proposed in two separate bills that are currently being reviewed by committees in the House (we're talking the US folks). I never thought they were that crazy, but it seems that this generation of draft-dodging politicians is actually thinking about doing it again. It looks like we still have this problem with not being able to admit we made a mistake in starting a war, and so need to compensate by sending more of our youth to die in it.

Speaking of Iraq, I noticed that we appointed a Prime Minister in the transitional government instead of letting the UN do it as we had planned. This sort of unilateralism is dangerous, as we are doing more and more to tell the world we'd rather do this alone.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm reading other people's posts but don't really have the time to reply, as the library likes to get you in and out of here pretty quickly.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?