<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, June 18, 2004

A long time ago, I came to terms with the fact that I was an haughty asshole... 

and have had that fact confirmed once or twice recently. The reason I bring this up is because what I'm about to say could be taken as an expression of this character flaw, but I beg you to keep an open mind.

I have an identity problem that most people understandably couldn't comprehend. Being both British and American by birth isn't necessarily very confusing, but being brought up by a mother who maintains your Britishness whilst living in Myrtle Beach is enough to drive a person insane. I've never been quite convinced of my surroundings... always feeling a bit like a foreigner. However, when I'm in either country, I will tend to take on the general feel of that country, while a feel, small portions of my personality linked to the other intensify.

I've been in England for about a month now. I work very hard at not standing out in a crowd (which I can manage to do, even after opening my mouth, as long as I don't say more than a few words). I only walk around London so I can learn routes easily, so I don't have to bring a map. Pulling a map out is like shouting "tourist!!!"

As I blend in more and more, I begin to become alienated from the sound of an American voice more and more. I found I've grown impatient with the Americans I run into, mostly because I find them loud, obnoxious, and too obvious. Because I'm afraid I'm probably pushing you all away right now, I'd like to remind you all that, as my friends, you aren't the sort of Americans I'm talking about. In fact, only when I'm with you lot, I tend to be one of the loudest of the group... impossible to shut up in many cases. That disappears quickly once you take me out of my friendly group environment.

I am struggling to determine whether or not my dislike of the "loud obvious American tourist" is justified or not? They certainly are making an effort to see a different country, I'll give them that, but are they doing it the right way?

I think that the longer I'm over here, the more I see things more and more as a native Brit would, so maybe I'll offer some tips to penetrating an (English speaking) foreign culture when you first come into contact with it.

1. Don't talk about things at home loudly in public. I know what Billy said to you the other day sounded really funny, but it just makes you look like you're mind can't separate from it and focus on your surroundings. Nothing makes someone look more superficial when they are staring at Big-fucking-Ben and they start yapping about their Sorority.

2. Stay away from anything you recognize as American. That's right, stay out of McDonald's, Burger King, Starbucks, and Subway. You can have all that when you go home... right now you're hear to experience a culture.

3. Listen to how people speak before you open your mouth. Don't buy something at a store and go "thanks mate" and give a really corny smile. You aren't being witty. Most people say "thanks" or "cheers" in the UK.

4. Go out by yourself, don't run around in groups of 10. If you have to, don't stand in the middle of the fucking sidewalk with a map bigger than your group.

5. They don't go beserk with an 18-year drinking age, so why should you?

6. Read a book on wherever you are going.

7. This is more of a pet peeve than anything else, and one for all the people who have made fun of me mispronouncing stuff. Leicester is pronounced "Lester" not "LyeCHESTER." The same goes for Worcester....

8. Leave behind anything with an American flag on it, baseball caps, and those shorts/sandals combos.


I apologize if I sound snobbish, but these are just some of the annoying things I have observed. Foreigners are guilty of doing the same to us, but not nearly as much, because they have lots of American tv and movies to help them understand their culture.

This is also the reason that I've been telling all of you about these stupid movies you'll probably never see. They are examples of cultures you haven't experienced... and I think you'd really find them worthwhile if you gave them a shot. I'm sorry if you feel otherwise.

Anyway, this is my last night in lonely London. Good night.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?