<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 21, 2005

How things can go wrong very quickly. 

The plan was perfect. I knew I was going to miss Liz's birthday yesterday, but she had agreed to drive up the following day (today) to see me.

Now any ordinary person would just be ready with birthday gifts. But the overachiever in me spoke too soon. I rented a cabin near Brevard, NC for 2 nights, and sent in the deposit for it. Last night I went grocery shopping and bought an assortment of foods so I could cook for her both nights. I even tried to bake a cake (and failed miserably, but I was going to present her with the mangled results anyway).

Alas, I received no "I'm leaving" phone call from Liz this morning. My worry grew but finally I got through to her and found out that she was pretty darn sick, the poor girl. Neither of us wanted her to drive up in that state... so the plans for this weekend are over and the surprise ruined...

Thankfully, the reservations were able to be moved to next weekend, but I'm still angry that perfection could not be obtained, and I'm left with an empty weekend while the timer that counts down to the demise of our relationship maintains its steady tic-toc.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?