<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Mr. Smith comes to Clemson 

Tonight is the Econ department's yearly Harris Dinner, eagerly awaited by students and faculty alike. An open bar and good food, followed by a speech by a well-liquored but famous economist is the pinnacle of the evening.

I've only been to one before and felt uncomfortable being the only non-drinker there (and a relative stranger in the Econ department). Luckily I met my now-friend Kelley there, and the evening turned out to be much more pleasant.


Two years have passed and I'm much more familiar with the department's students and faculty. I was actually beginning to believe that it would be a relaxing evening when I received this e-mail from the department chair:

Matt,

I'd like to let you know two things. First, Vernon Smith will be in the Common Room in Sirrine 222 on Thursday morning, holding court. I hope you an find the time to drop in, catch some of the conversation, ask any questions you might have of a Nobel Laureate.

Second, unless you are intent on dining with a group of friends, please join Vernon and the Harris family at the head table with me at dinner that evening.


Gah!

Our speaker this year is Dr. Vernon Smith, who in 2002 shared a Nobel Prize in Economics for his extensive work in experimental economics. Apparently I'm to sit with him. It's times like this that I wish I drank, but I'm going to really need a drink by the time that evening is over.

It's a 21 year-old undergrad development economist vs. a 78 year-old PhD Nobel Laureate experimental economist, and all bets are off.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?