<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Peace be with you 

It was about 2:30 AM when we decided to stop by the kebab van on Woodstock Road on our way back from the club. Kebab vans can be found on almost any street in Oxford from dinnertime until about four in the morning, constantly serving up kebab meat, chips with cheese, burgers and anything else your greasy heart would desire in the middle of the night.

We were chowing down on our food and chatting with the Moroccan-born crew of this particular van when a middle-aged man with grey hair and a moustache approached and said to the owner of the van, in a mid-western US accent, "As-salaam alaykum."

"Wa alaykum as-salaam," replied the owner.

"Well I don't actually speak Arabic," said the man. "You see I'm not a Muslim, I'm a Christian, but I love my Muslim brothers and sisters. Can I have two baked potatoes please?"

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?